The second ‘long hull’ unit, Ticonderoga was laid down in March 1943, commissioned in May 1944 and built at Newport News. Her first action was supporting landings in the Philippines. In January 1945 the she was damaged by a kamikaze but returned to support operations off Okinawa and Japan. After participating in Magic Carpet operations, Ticonderoga was placed in reserve in 1947. Ticonderoga was modernized and saw further service, then stricken in 1973. Ticonderoga received five battle stars during World War II and three Navy Unit Commendations, one Meritorious Unit Commendation, and 12 battle stars during the Vietnam War.