The Pittsburgh (CA-72) was laid down in February 1943, launched in February 1944 and commissioned at Boston in October 1944. She joined TF 58 in February 1945, around the same time as aircraft carrier Lexington (CV-16). Between March 23 and April 27, 1945 Pittsburgh guarded the carriers as they first prepared for and then covered and supported the invasion of Okinawa. Enemy airfields were interdicted and the troops given direct aid from the carriers. Pittsburgh repelled enemy air attacks and launched her scout planes to rescue downed carrier pilots. On June 4, 1945 Pittsburgh lost her bow in a typhoon which by early the next day had increased to 70-knot winds and 100-foot waves. Armed with a false bow, Pittsburgh left Guam on June 24, bound for Puget Sound Navy Yard and arriving on July 16. Still under repair at war's end, she was placed in commission in reserve March 12, 1946 and decommissioned March 7, 1947. Pittsburgh received two battle stars for World War II service.